To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A List of 10 Misconceptions about PTSD

While reading through my favorite blogs, I came across this article that Wife [Widow] of a Wounded Marine linked to 10 Common Misconceptions about PTSD. I find it interesting an x-ray technician school would post such an article, perhaps it shows the importance PTSD is gaining?

I found the link beneficial and am sharing it here.  On a personal note, I have been diagnosed with PTSD due to trauma I experienced.  My PTSD has zero to do with the military, which is why I have not mentioned it before now.  The reason I bring this up is because of number #3 on the Misconception List, "PTSD sufferers aren't victims." I take issue with the word victim. In my personal definition a victim; is a person who has died due to a traumatic or tragic situation. A survivor; is a person who has survived a traumatic or tragic situation.  I realize some view this distinction as semantics, but it is important to me.  I also haven't met a person who has worn the uniform and freely dons the title of victim. Of course there are those who disagree with me, like I said the above is my personal definition.

I encourage you to view the list, and share the list about the 10 Common Misconceptions about PTSD.

1 comment:

Robbin said...

Thanks for the post. I've been studying this subject and found your link by far the best site to learn about PTS. Hope all is going well with you. And congrats on the radio interview!