To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Honoring Sgt Chad Frokjer

Image Credit to Sandra Oshiro
Sgt Chad Frokjer a Minnesota resident was killed in action by an explosive devise on June 30th 2011 in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He was an experienced Marine on this third deployment. He served with the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, based at Camp Pendleton. Governor Jerry Brown of California and Governor Mark Dayton of Minnesota ordered all State Flags and American Flags flown at half mast in Sgt. Frokjer's honor on July 9, 2011.

Like so many Marines, Sgt Froker found out he and his wife were expecting a son, Eli their first child while he was deployed. Eli will now learn about his father from his fathers Marine brothers, sisters, and family as they will not meet in this life. Eli is expected to arrive sometime this month.

My fellow blogger Glory, Guts, and Glitter attended High School with Sgt. Frokjer. It is very difficult for her to write about Chad, but she has made two attempts. In her post Update Shmupdate
she mentions the loss of Sgt Frokjer and her personal way of honoring his memory and family.  On August 11th she honors Sgt Frokjer on his 28th birthday. Here is an excerpt.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I began making bracelets to help raise money for his wife Leslie (whom I've never met) and their unborn son Eli.  But I see this as more than a fundraiser.  I remember a Sesame Street book my mother read to me as a child.  Bert was having a hard time remembering to do something, so he tied a string around his finger to help him not forget.  To me, these bracelets are that string around Bert's finger.  I'll never forget the last message I received from Chad on Facebook, jokingly telling me I was stupid for trying to get back into the Marine Corps.  (Many Marines tend to have a love/hate relationship with the Corps.  It's a tough job with a lot of bullshit at times, but I don't know any Marine who would trade in their years of service for something else.  Chad loved what he did.)  Not only are these bracelets a reminder of the sacrifice Sgt Frokjer made for us, but a reminder of all who gave their lives for our country.
For those faithful readers of my blog, you know I honor the fallen every chance I get. I have given a donation to the family and have received a large number of bracelets. My plan is to hand them out as thank you for donations of postage, supplies, and for the children who draw pictures, and write letters for me to send off. I have also promised I will share with every recipient of a bracelet Sgt Chad Frokjer's story. His memory will always live on.

Semper Fi!

This flag flew in Afghanistan by My Master Jedi Marine in 2010. You can read that post here. It seemed appropriate to use a flag that a fellow Marine gave me to honor Sgt Frokjer.




No comments: