To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Reflections on the Death of bin Laden

Osama bin Laden is dead. After 10 years of war, I had given up hope that we would hear those words. However, tonight those words were spoken to the American people, our allies across the world, and most importantly - our enemies.

September 11, 2001 changed my life forever. If not for that dark event on a bright September day I would have never joined the United States Marine Corps in December 2001. My entire adult life has been in the service of my country because of one man's plan to destroy my country and my way of life.

I sat this evening watching Fox News. The talking heads spouted off the facts of the last 10 years' search. The ticker repeated the same information for over an hour and a half. We all waited for the confirmation of the leaks and reports. And then the words were spoken. "Good evening. Tonight I can report to the American people and the world that the United States has conducted an operation that has killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of Al-Qaeda and a terrorist who's responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children."

My reaction at the words was a solid fist pump into the air. It wasn't just a rumor as we'd heard so many times over so many years. We have DNA confirmation. We have the body. He is dead.

The question for many of us now is, "What do we do now?" The man ultimately responsible for the deaths of over three thousand Americans is dead, but terror is not. There will be those that work towards the same goals as Osama bin Laden. Men will step forward to become the new leader of Al-Qaeda and make every effort to extract revenge upon the United States of America for the death of Osama bin Laden. I have but one warning to give. No matter how long it takes, no matter where you hide, you will meet the same fate.

Marcus is a blogger at You Served, producer of You Served radio, and active duty Marine stationed in South Carolina.

1 comment:

Kriste Gerhard said...

Beautiful Marcus... beautiful.

Many emotions and tears from me in the last few hours, but the most powerful, by far, is the pride I feel for so many, who've sacrificed so much.

Thank you, Semper Fi, HOOAH, HOOYAH!