To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chief Warrant Officer II U.S. Army, Richard "Dick" Muirhead

Photo courtesy Kristina Divine

Perhaps some of you remember the post back in January called Mom You're Crazy. This is where I bought groceries for a talkative Vietnam Veteran who's name I never got. The mans name is Richard "Dick" Muirhead. He was born February 19th, 1947 in Albany N.Y. On September 14, 2011 he lost his battle with cancer.

When I met him that day in Safeway, he was all smiles telling my boys about flying Huey's. Turns out he's a decorated Vietnam Veteran who served a second tour in Vietnam because "his brothers were there."  My children looked at Chief Warrant Officer II Dick Muirhead as if he wore a cape defending the less fortunate, and they were right to do so.

My boys and I attended Dick's funeral on Saturday, September 24th, 2011 as a member of the Patriot Guard Riders. Even though I joined the PGR over a year ago, I hadn't been able to attend a Memorial Service since becoming a member. Dick Myrhead's funeral was my first mission with my boys at my side.  It was an experience I will never forget, as I will never forget Dick Muirhead.

May your family find peace as you've been reassigned to duty in heaven.

1 comment:

CI-Roller Dude said...

Very nice post. RIP Chief.