To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gold Star Mother's Day

Gold Star Mother's Day is the last Sunday in September every year.  I've been thinking about what to write for Gold Star Mother's Day for over a month. Why is this post late? Because of an unexpected three dog emergency that occurred early Sunday morning after my oldest sons 8th birthday camp out party. The true nature of an emergency means leaving with only what you have on your persons. Sadly my lap top was not on me at the time of the emergency for the three unexpected days I had to spend in Reno, which is in the next state and an hour and a half drive, hence a belated posting.

I have met a few Gold Star Mothers, and I still have no idea what to say to them. The thought of losing a child is so devastating that I can't bear to even think about it. So what does one say to a Mother who's lost a child? "Thank you for your sacrifice" not only seems inadequate, but also unsuitable.  I personally don't know what my reaction would be if someone thanked me for the sacrifice of one of my children but I'm not sure it would be positive.

I was debating on the proper words to say to a Gold Star Mother  beginning my long drive home with three alive, but still sick doggies when I saw this truck driving in front of me.


This Nevada registered truck also had a Gold Star Family license plate. If this truck would have pulled into a shopping center, I would have followed. I would have approached. I would have admitted I have no idea what to say to a Gold Star Family member, but that I wanted to express my heartfelt sympathy for the loss their son.

If you come across a Gold Star Family member I encourage you to say something. I've been told from one Gold Star Mother, if you speak from the heart you can't go wrong.

You can read about the life of PFC Nicholas R. Wilde here http://www.pomeradonews.com/2005/08/31/former-poway-man-dies-in-marine-training-exercise/

If you knew PFC Nicholas R. Wilde and have any pictures of him, I'm sure his family would appreciate you adding them to his Memorial album
http://travel.webshots.com/album/435255031suLAlX

No comments: