To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Friday, January 13, 2012

A New Years State Of Mind

Celtic Dove Of Peace by meic2

A few weeks ago I read this article over at A Little Pink In A World Of Camo. In the post, Mrs. P who is a Marine Widow talks about how she ran across another article that spoke not of a New Years Resolution, but of a New Years word, or theme. The basic idea is to reflect on what you really need in your life, or what you need to strive to give others. For example do you need Peace? Wisdom? Grace? Honesty? Tranquility? Or harmony? Do you need to be more generous? Humble? Compassionate towards others?

I have to say, I really like this idea. I think it has a lot of potential. One reason I like the idea of a New Years Theme is because it's positive and attainable. Sure, it's positive to cut sugar out of your diet, but how practical is it? It is realistic to have a goal for a year to be more compassionate. Does having a goal mean you'll be successful at every opportunity? No. All bad (and good) habits are born from repetition, meaning the more we do something, like practice compassion, the higher the possibility it will become easier and eventually mold into a habit.

I've given it a lot of thought, my New Years Theme is going to be Peace. Peace is something I have experienced little of in 2011. I'm not quite sure how one attains peace, as everyone seems to have a different answer, perhaps one day I'll have my own answer.

If you picked a New Years Theme what would it be?

No comments: