To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

The 10th Anniversary Of The 9/11 Attacks

I realized today that my children, who are about to turn 6 and 8 years old have never lived in peace time America. This broke my heart just a little. What else brakes my heart? Every time I'm introduced to a Gold Star family member. If anyone knows adequate words to say to someone who's lost a child, a spouse, a sibling, or a parent please let me know. Saying I'm sorry for your loss seems completely deficient.

But I digress....

Ten years have passed. Ten years of War. We've had two presidents. Gas prices have gone from approximately $1.50 per gallon to $3.89 per gallon where I live. The government developed new agencies like Homeland Security, and the TSA to supposably keep us safe from future terrorist attacks. There are fewer and fewer signs of patriotism in everyday life as civilians without military connections grow weary. I fear such apathy will develop into only vowing to never forget once a year, instead of being diligent about remembering the lives lost on that September day, and every day since. When I say remember and never forget I don't just mean American lives, American's were not the only passengers on those planes or in the WTC. See a previous post Never Forget. Thousands of Coalition lives have been lost in the last ten years as well.

I asked one of my friends who has been on multiple deployments and lost friends what September 11th meant to him. He said, "It shows the myth is busted. America is not invulnerable. We need to always be vigilant."

Here are some other blog postings and articles I think are valuable. I encourage you to read them, as they each have a different perspective on September 11th.

An Unlikely Hero  by Rebecca Liss, Slate Magazine. 
I personally believe this is an unfit title, but the story brought a tear to my eye.
Semper Fi

Sorrow and Resolve  by Maryann of Soldiers' Angels Germany.
I've had the privilege of meeting Maryann. She speaks as poignantly as she writes.

A family remembers: Hero of 9/11 gave life to save thousands by Jess Wisloski, NYC editor Yahoo News.   
This title says it all. It is a family friendly version of Rick Rescorla's actions on 9/11.

Rick Rescorla - BadAss Of The Week
I have to post a warning for profanity, but this blog goes into Rick Rescorla's couragous military history from England to America to 9/11. The word Hero doesn't quite encompass what Rick Rescorla was.

Talismans, 9-11 and #PTSD by Mikey Piro, ptsdsurvivordaily.
An officer who lost family in the towers remembers.

Ten Years Gone  by Tom Sileo The Unknown Soldiers.
An interesting juxaposition between 9/11 and the recent helicopter tragedy that killed 30 in Afghanistan.

9/11: On Kindness  by Kanani. The Kitchen Dispatch
A unique look at compassion sparked by 9/11.

Patriot Day 10 Years Later The American Legion


9/11 + 10 Years: Fears Realized  by WOTN Editor, War On Terror News




No comments: