To encourage and fortify relationships between military service members, veterans, their families, their friends, and their Country; to nurture the path of communication for everyone, ensuring that no one is alone or left behind; and proving that we have not, are not, and will never forget the nobility of their sacrifices.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Forget Me Not

I have been thinking a lot about Veterans Day, which is on Thursday, November 11th. I know my friend Spockgirl made this post in honor of the fallen, but I also think it speaks volumes about the living... whom should also be remembered. 

Veteran's Day is about those who have served, continue to serve, and honoring their sacrifices. I have heard from more than one Soldier, Marine, Airman, and Sailor how they feel forgotten. I tell each one, "You and your sacrifices are not forgotten."

The following post has been reposted with permission by Spockgirl Musings, a Canadian who knows War and its hardships extend beyond boundaries, to the point she is supporting Team Navy in Soldiers Angels Project Valour-IT.

Forget Me Not

by George Pirie (Scottish-Canadian poet b. 1799) 
This little flower with azure eye,
You love it lady tell me why;
It seems to me nor rich nor rare,
It breathes no fragrance on the air,
Nor splendid form nor colours bright,
May give it value in thy sight.
If not for perfume nor for show,
Pray tell me why you prize it so.

It is not rich, it is not rare,
This little flower – yet, ah, how fair.
Though it no merit else may claim
But this, “the magic of a name,”
Each tiny leaf into my ear
Is breathing names to memory dear;
The dead, the absent, the forgot,
Are whisp’ring here, “Forget-me-not.”

by George Pirie



*****
To honour the fallen in Afghanistan from the last five days: 
Maine, Illi, Mass, NC, Cali (2), NJ, Md, Tex and U.K.
*****



Forget me nots are very tiny, plain, but pretty, pale blue or pale pink flowers with yellow centres. I was very pleased to find that this year I had both colours in the garden. They are a symbol of hope, true love and remembrance.


Folklore:
In 15th-century Germany, it was supposed that the wearers of the flower would not be forgotten by their lovers. Legend has it that in medieval times, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "Forget-me-not." It was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love.
(from Wikipedia)

2 comments:

Spockgirl said...

You made me cry...

Unknown said...

Spockgirl~ I didn't really say anything knew, just added to an already great post.
Thank You